Niki Lauda Portrait by artist Martin Allen

Niki Lauda fine art portrait painting – WIP

Firstly a huge thank you for all the feedback and ideas from everyone on r/formula1 at Reddit for my recent post of Gentleman Driver asking which Formula 1 Legend should I paint next.

So here’s the finished item, I think I finally managed to get the eyes and the face right of one of the Formual 1 legends that is Niki Lauda.

The Niki Lauda crash is infamous in F1 where by Niki’s car crashes, is engulfed in flames and his rival for the championship James Hunt heroically pulls over and helps drag Niki from the flames.

Niki Lauda on James Hunt “We had a respectful, nice relationship, going back to our days in Formula Three. We trusted each other. James would not push you off the road, which in those days was important. So the film, Rush, is good, but only 80% correct, with the other 20% created by Hollywood”.

James Hunt on Niki Lauda “We were very good friends – We shared a flat together at one point during our F3 days. We were two young guys growing up through the racing ranks together.”

Watch this space to see the process and progress of another oil on linen portrait coming together. If you have any questions or queries please post. I hope you enjoy watching.

If you like the Niki Lauda sketch you may also like Gentleman Driver my portrait of Graham Hill and the The Calm Before the Storm, my portrait of Senna or other petrolhead art here.

close

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR VIP LIST